Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Grungy Monday 05 - Run For The Roses


The latest challenge(#05) at Studio L3’s Grungy Monday was to use T!m’s niche technique so wonderfully demonstrated here. Since I’m doing all of mine as 8x8 scrapbook pages, I opted not to use foamcore and instead just used layers of thick stock and dimensional adhesive in between to create the look of depth. I hope that’s ok! My niche was cut on my Silhouette in the shape of the state of Kentucky and then filled with Roses!

I am a Kentuckian by birth and that means something very special to me. I truly love my home state and hope to someday soon move back across the Ohio River to once again be home. Kentuckians are also very proud of our thoroughbred horses and the Kentucky Derby. Every year on the 1st Saturday in May, millions watch “the most exciting two minutes in sports” known as the Kentucky Derby. It’s a one and a quarter mile long “Run For The Roses” at Churchill Downs racetrack in Louisville Kentucky.

I couldn’t imagine a more fitting song inspiration than Dan Fogelberg’s Run For The Roses.

Born in the Valley
And raised in the trees
Of Western Kentucky
On wobbly knees
With mama beside you
To help you along
You'll soon be a growing up strong.

All the long, lazy mornings
In pastures of green
The sun on your withers
The wind in your mane
Could never prepare you
For what lies ahead
The run for the roses so red –

From sire to sire
It's born in the blood
The fire of a mare
And the strength of a stud
It's breeding and it's training
And it's something unknown
That drives you and carries
You home.



And it's run for the roses
As fast as you can
Your fate is delivered
Your moment's at hand
It's the chance of a lifetime
In a lifetime of chance
And it's high time you joined
In the dance
It's high time you joined
In the dance --


It brings a tear to my eye every time and even more so now that my Dad is gone…he loved horseracing and collected Derby memorabilia. Ok, enough of that emotional stuff….I’ve not used a single rubber stamp on this creation I’m embarrassed to say. The images are from art by Trish Biddle (amazing stuff) and even the racing program page that I made into a background was printed from google images; as was the bottle of Woodford reserve w/mint Julep. The base paper and mini roses are from Club Scrap’s April kit called Welcome. The background is a Claudine Hellmuth technique, although I think T!m also has demo’d it too.

I also want to shout out a thanks to Nancy at Squirrely Art for the lace that I used around the outside. She sent it to me some time ago and I've been waiting for just the right way to use some of it! Thanks Nancy!

7 comments:

  1. this turned out just wonderful - you really did a great piece that reflects the derby. The roses seem to be spilling out of the state! It's such a well crafted piece, I just love looking at it!
    and thanks for reminding me about Dan Fogelberg...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just brought me to tears! It is an amazing work of art and I think you have executed it beautifully. I can just hear Dad saying "and down the stretch they come." Miss him so much, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, Chrissie, this page is amazing! It is so cool how you ripped the layers and foam tape to create depth. Ingenious. Your story about what Kentucky means to you was so beautiful. I love the way you nestled the little roses in too. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your entry is beautiful. what a creative idea to fill the niche with roses! Dan Fogelberg is one of my favorites, and I too love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissie, this is beautiful, a tribute to our state and to your Dad's memory.
    and, of course, it brought tears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your roses-filled niche, it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw this at Studio L3...just love it and the stories attached.

    ReplyDelete